Yoga is an ancient and complex practice, rooted in Indian philosophy. As time passed, yoga has gained immense popularity as a way of promoting physical and mental well-being. Being one of the traditional forms of workout, it has been developed by Rishis from ancient India, who had documented their training in the books known as Upanishads, where the entire practice has been meticulously explained. Performing Yoga helps to enhance your mental and physical health and is hence considered an ideal exercise for weight loss. The breathing patterns involved in Yoga help to correct our metabolism regulates blood flow and also help to rejuvenate overall body functions. However, all of these benefits of yoga will only be fully attained if we have a dedicated yoga mat to perform the necessary asanas mentioned in this ancient exercise regime.
Health Benefits of Yoga
Numerous health benefits are associated with yoga. It is advised that whenever you have decided to practice yoga, it should be done on a yoga mat. Without a yoga mat, it is a daunting task to perform yoga asanas perfectly, as it will offer you many discomforts while performing the required asanas.
- Help improve general wellness by relieving stress, supporting good health habits, and improving mental/emotional health, sleep, and balance.
- Relieve low-back pain and neck pain, and possibly pain from tension-type headaches and knee osteoarthritis.
- Help people who are overweight or obese lose weight.
- Help people quit smoking.
- Help people manage anxiety or depressive symptoms associated with difficult life situations.
- Relieve menopause symptoms.
- Help people with chronic diseases manage their symptoms and improve their quality of life.
One of the most popular and effective forms of working out is the ancient Indian practice of yoga. But, to make the best out of your yoga routine and move effortlessly from one pose to another, you need a good yoga mat. Yoga mats protect your knees and joints and provide stability to maintain proper posture. With the help of this article, we will try to figure out some of the best yoga mats that you should consider buying before getting into this ancient workout regime.
Factors to be Considered Before Buying Yoga Mats
- Thickness – Thickness is one of the major factors in yoga mats. Having the right thickness will offer proper cushioning from the floor and keeps you comfortable. Most yoga mats offer thickness between 4mm and 10mm, but some offer an extra thickness of up to 15mm which is good for your body.
- Stickiness – Yoga poses require you to hold your body in many arduous poses, so a sticky yoga mat prevents you from slipping and injuring yourself.
- Material – Some of the materials are well equipped to be considered in yoga mats. Materials such as Vinyl (PVC), TPE, Rubber, Jute, Cotton & Foam are the major components of yoga mats.
- Dimensions – Most yoga mats are 24 inches wide and between 68 and 72 inches long. If you get a mat in this range, then it is the perfect dimension for your daily yoga regime. Wider mats give you a little more room from side to side, but just be aware that some yoga studios discourage these mats because they can alter the number of people who can fit in each row of the classroom.
- Weight – Weight is also equally important compared to others factors associated with yoga mats. It is to be noted that weight might not matter if you are practising at home, but if you are carrying yoga mats from home to the studio or vice-versa, then lighter mats are admissible. Thicker mats tend to weigh more, so keep that in mind when balancing your needs for cushioning versus portability.
Top 10 Yoga Mats
1.) Anti-Skid Yoga Mat – This anti-skid yoga mat from Strauss is perfect for floor exercises. It provides superior support and padding, enabling you to perform yoga comfortably. The textured bottom adds stability during your workouts. This mat is made of a durable and lightweight, soft foam material. It includes a carry bag with a full zip closure and a convenient front pocket to store your smartphone or headphones.
2.) Non-Toxic OJS Yoga Mat – This yoga mat by OJS is the ideal choice for Pilates, meditation, and stretching at your home or outdoors. It is easy to clean and comes with a shoulder bag that helps you conveniently carry your mat to your fitness club or yoga studio. The textured surface provides reliable traction and stability.
3.) Printed Yoga Mats – Printed mats are equipped with Advanced Printing Technology for a bright colour that does not fade. It is suitable for any yoga routine and can be used safely on hardwood floors. This yoga mat cushions and supports your joints while performing asanas. The bottom layer features an anti-skid covering, which prevents your mat from slipping or sliding. The three-layer premium build does not wear or tear easily. This product is moisture-resistant and can be easily washed with soap and water.
4.) Sweat-Resistant Boldfit Yoga Mat – This yoga mat by Boldfit is ideal for people of any shape or size. It provides optimal protection and cushions your knees and joints. This durable yoga mat is made of premium quality, long-lasting TPE material that is non-toxic and does not tear. The double-layered structure prevents any slips and offers you optimal grip during your workout. The Moisture Resistant Technology enables easy cleaning with soap and water.
5.) Travel-Friendly Clear Choice Yoga Mat – This travel-friendly clear choice yoga mat is made of premium quality TPE that does not contain latex, PVC, or harmful chemicals. It is hypoallergenic, eco-friendly, and recyclable. This mat provides good comfort and cushioning during your workouts. The alignment lines help maintain proper body posture. The non-slip surface repels sweat or water, keeping your mat clean and odour-free.
6.) Brandvilla Colour Range Yoga Mat – This mat is comfortable for people of all sizes and shapes. It is made of ethylene-vinyl acetate for added durability. This versatile mat is equipped with slip-resistant surfaces on both sides to prevent accidents. The Moisture-Resistant Technology enables easy cleaning with soap and water. The lightweight design and mesh carrying bag make it convenient to store and move around.
7.) Pokari Yoga Mat – This lightweight and durable fitness mat by Pokari is 6mm thick. It provides ideal cushioning to your joints. It is easily rollable, portable, and washable. The non-slip, textured pattern prevents skidding or sliding during workouts.
8.) Alo Yoga Chakra Rubber Mat – This rubber mat has an asana grid etched into it for optimal help with poses. Plus, it has an antimicrobial, moisture-wicking surface that’s great for preventing slippage.
9.) Manduka Pro Ultimate Cushioning Yoga – This mat is considered the best for comfort and cushioning, and is available in several fun colour choices.
10.) Line Pattern Yoga Mat – This yoga mat has a great thickness and is considered ideal for beginners. Using this mat will make any pose comfortable on a hardwood floor.
The information contained in this article is for educational and informational purposes only and is not intended as a health advice. We would ask you to consult a qualified professional or medical expert to gain additional knowledge before you choose to consume any product or perform any exercise.