Osteoporosis is becoming increasingly prevalent worldwide, characterized by decreased bone density and increased bone fragility, leading to a higher risk of fractures. Lifestyle factors such as a diet lacking in calcium and vitamin D, sedentary habits, smoking, alcohol consumption, and hormonal imbalances are contributing factors to this condition. It is particularly common among the elderly, as aging affects the formation of new bones, resulting in reduced bone density.
Menopausal women, due to declining estrogen levels, are also susceptible to osteoporosis. Prolonged bed rest during illness can further exacerbate the risk. To prevent and manage osteoporosis, it’s crucial to incorporate bone-boosting nutrients like calcium, phosphorus, vitamin D, fatty fish, egg yolk, horse gram, nuts, pumpkin seeds, mushrooms, and magnesium into one’s diet to support and maintain bone health.
1. Mango and Spinach Smoothie:
This Mango and Spinach Smoothie is not only delicious but also a fantastic source of nutrients for your bones health. Here’s how to make it:
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 ripe mango, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup low-fat yogurt
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon honey (optional)
- Ice cubes
- Place the fresh spinach, diced ripe mango, low-fat yogurt, almond milk, and honey (if desired) into a blender.
- Add ice cubes to your liking for a refreshing chill.
- Blend the ingredients until you achieve a smooth and creamy consistency.
- Pour the smoothie into a glass, and you’re ready to enjoy a delicious and bone-healthy source of vitamin K, vitamin D, and calcium.
- This smoothie not only tastes great but also offers a refreshing and nutritious way to support your bone health.
2. Spinach Egg Wrap:
Spinach Egg Wrap is a fantastic source of nutrients for your bones health that can be prepared with the following ingredients and method:
- 1 cup palak leaves or any spinach variety
- 2 egg
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 onion
Salt, as per taste preference
- Mixed herbs, as per taste
- Required amount of oil
- Heat a pan and add some oil. Sauté the washed spinach leaves over medium heat until they are cooked well. Once cooked, turn off the flame and allow them to cool.
- In a blender, combine the cooked spinach, eggs, salt, and your choice of seasoning herbs. Blend the mixture until it’s well combined.
- Heat a pan again and pour the blended mixture into it. Cook the mixture well on both sides until it’s firm and cooked through.
- Place rings of tomatoes and onions on top of the cooked spinach and egg mixture.
- Roll the whole mixture into a wrap, and your Spinach Egg Wrap is ready to be enjoyed.
This wrap is not only delicious but also packed with the goodness of spinach and eggs, making it a healthy meal option.
3. Ragi Pudding:
Ragi Pudding is a nutritious and flavorful dish & a fantastic source of nutrients for your bones health that can be prepared with the following ingredients and method:
- 1/2 cup ragi flour
- 300ml coconut milk
- Jaggery to taste
- 1/4 cup dried fruits
- 1/4 cup roasted pumpkin and sunflower seeds
- In a bowl, mix the ragi flour and coconut milk until well combined.
- Transfer the mixture to a hot saucepan.
- Add jaggery to taste and cook the mixture until it thickens to a paste-like consistency.
Transfer the mixture to a bowl.
- Top it with dried fruits and roasted pumpkin and sunflower seeds.
Allow it to set.
- Your delicious ragi pudding is now ready to be served. Enjoy!
4. Horse gram pancake:
The Horse Gram Pancake is a nutritious and flavorful dish & a fantastic source of nutrients for your bones health that can be prepared with the following ingredients and method:
- 1 cup soaked horse gram
- 1/4 cup roasted semolina
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 1/4 cup grated carrot
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 2-3 green chilies
- Handful of curry leaves and coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- Required amount of oil
- In a mixer, combine soaked horse gram, semolina, and rice flour, and grind them into a batter with a suitable consistency.
- Add the grated carrot, finely chopped onion, green chilies, and a handful of curry leaves and coriander leaves to the batter. Mix all the ingredients thoroughly, and add salt to taste.
- Heat a pan or an uthappam maker. Pour a ladleful of the batter onto the hot surface.
Cook the pancake on both sides for about two minutes each or until it turns golden brown.
- Serve your horse gram pancake hot and enjoy this nutritious and delicious dish that’s rich in protein and fiber.
The information contained in this article is for educational and informational purposes only and is not intended as a health advice. We would ask you to consult a qualified professional or medical expert to gain additional knowledge before you choose to consume any product or perform any exercise.