Importance of preventive medicine has been around since `1500’s and still continues to be used in a phrase to imbibe the concerned value of healthcare since childhood. But did we really comprehend anything out of it? We chose to remain an ignorant creature over the decades and continue to do so. Why is it one would wish to choose sick care over healthcare? Why can’t we take precautionary measures much easier, inexpensive and stress free than grilling ourselves through painful and extensive process of disease/ disorders and its treatment which aids no guarantee.
We all are going through devastative period of time due to current scenario of pandemic. The loss grief is unimaginable and deriving anything positive out of it is quite unfathomable. But its high time that we start learning from our mistakes! What do we notice in this pandemic? I see an exemplar of healthcare over sick care. We all have come down to basics such as maintaining immunity, focusing on eating right, healthy lifestyle to win over a deadly situation, isn’t it enough for us to acknowledge the nature’s truth. To add to this, lets talk about elephant in the room, Co-morbidities like diabetes, Hypertension etc. is ruling as the primary cause of fatalities in COVID-19 pandemic. People have begun to realize the gravity of the situation and have taken health in their own hands. We all have come to cognizance of the fact that preventive care is the true medicine. Likewise, preventive & safety measure in the present scenario such as wearing mask, sanitization, hygiene practices, avoiding public places and physical contact is equally crucial so as to avoid later difficulties.
In routine practice, I have observed people find Nutrition, Exercise, Mental health a costly affair, they jump at the sound of the consultation fees of a professional or investment in eating right and healthy but dance to the tunes of treatment cost and feed over Pharmaceuticals more than food.
So, the question arises, what do you do for healthcare?
I say its simple just follow these steps:
- Stay Active: Workout / Incorporating physical activity in any form for about 30-45 mins 5 times a week is a great way to boost your lung and cardiac health. It’s the best bet to stay fit for overall holistic health.
- Mindful Eating: Another concept we have been taught since we were kids and yet failed to implement in daily life. Chewing foods well, and being present, savouring every bite with all your senses active helps you digest food well and maintain your weight.
- Sleep: In the current world of screens, we have disrupted our sleep pattern to no extent. 7 out of 10 people have sleep disorders or disturbances of various sorts. Its crucial for one to have 6-7 hours of sound sleep allowing our body to rest and heal.
- Mental Health: In the busy and monotonous life, we have lost connect to ourselves. Denial is a constant state of our minds. Processing emotions and reconnecting with our innerself through “ME TIME’ is crucial as stress has become a huge contributory factor to various disease and disorders primarily disrupting our immune system.
- Regular Checkup: It is important to keep a tab on your health status through regular blood check-ups and ensure to avoid any nutritional deficiencies. If you find yourself deficient in any of nutrients, take an immediate measure to rectify the same. This will help you to stay healthy, active and avoid any displeasure in your daily routine. measure to rectify the same. This will help you to stay healthy, active and avoid any displeasure in your daily routine.
These are quite basic things that all of us need to lead a healthy and disease-free life yet we have failed tremendously to do so. This will also help to pre detect and identify any risk factors or possible future health problems even if genetic. Its never too late for the right approach, start now, start today!
Focusing on right nutrition, exercise, healthy lifestyle, holistic health is what will serve as a means to prevent chronic disease but also gird one’s loins towards pandemic like this! Current pandemic has inspired shift from sick care to healthcare as mentioned by Dr James Dinicolantanio and can be attributed as biggest life saver in future. Thus, its high time, Preventive Care is put on front foot and make it an integral part of the system and our daily lives!
About the Author
Sneha Shukla is a reputed Sports Nutrition Consultant (Master’s degree with research) with a passion for Nutritional Psychiatry.
She is a Certified Bariatric Nutritionist (Obesity & Metabolic Surgery Society of India), Certified Diabetes Educator, Certified Onco Nutrition, and Life Member of Association of Sports, Nutrition & Fitness Sciences
Her clientele includes National & International level athletes and celebrities. She has experience as a Nutrition Consultant to Tennis, Football, and Cricket under 18 teams in association with the Sports associations of Mumbai.
The information contained in this article is for educational and informational purposes only and is not intended as a health advice. We would ask you to consult a qualified professional or medical expert to gain additional knowledge before you choose to consume any product or perform any exercise.