Calves are important lower body muscle that gives a postural advantage to your overall body. Important for jumping exercises and sprinting, Calves help to stabilize your knees. Having stronger calves gives you an aesthetic lower body muscle. Toned calves look impressive in bodybuilding competitions and get some extra brownie points on the stage. As muscular symmetry plays an important role in your score, stronger toned calves give you an advantage while performing on the stage.
In this article, we will talk about the top 8 exercises for strengthening your calf. Stretching calves enables ankle mobility and allows you to do complete leg exercises such as squats. The right diet, routine, and workout session can get help in building you strong.
Here are Top 8 Exercises For Strengthening Your Calf.
Standing calf raise on an elevated surface
- Hold the dumbbell in the right hand.
- Elevate your right leg on the ball of your feet.
- Leave your heel hanging off.
- Allowing your left toes to rest and test on your right ankle.
- Keep your core engaged, raise your right heel as high as possible.
- Slowly lower your heel below the raised platform until you feel stretch in your calf.
- Do equal reps on both legs!
Seated calf raise
- Sit on a bench and hold two heavy dumbbells in your hand on the top of your thighs.
- Keep your core engaged and lift your heels above the ground as high as you can.
- Slowly lower your heels back to the ground.
Farmer’s walk on toes
- Hold the dumbbell in each hand.
- Move your feet hip-width apart.
- Keep core engaged and your shoulders dow.
- Lift your heels and stand on your toes.
- Touch the ground without letting your heels and walk forward on your toes for a set number of reps.
Jump rope exercise is among the good endurance exercise for your calves that helps in improving your total body coordination.
- You just have to hold hands of a jump rope in each hand and jump with both of your feet as you spin the rope over and under your head.
- Keyword shoulder lower and your core engaged.
Dumbbell jump squat
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand.
- Stand straight with your feet shoulder wide apart.
- Till your thighs are in a squat position with the ground push your hips back to lower down.
- Strengthening your legs and come out of the squat position and jump on the ground.
- Land back softly with your knees bent as you lower back into the squat position and repeat.
- Plant your hand on the ground beneath, your shoulders, and your knees below your hips and begin in a tabletop position.
- Slowly extend your hips upward by firmly facing into your palm, lifting your knees off the ground, and tucking your toes.
- Straighten your leg till your body creates a triangle shape with the ground without locking your knees.
- Engage your core and lift your hips as high as you can and continue to lengthen your spine.
- Bend your one knee and then peddle the other feet to make the stretch deep.
Stretch leg calf stretch against the wall
- Bend your front knee and step one foot back and stand in an arm’s distance away from a wall.
- Lean forward and push your hands against the wall.
- For a deep stretch, press your back heel down into the ground and lean forward against the wall by pushing your hands.
- Keep your legs straight and switch the exercise between both of your legs.
Standing wall calf stretch
- Stand in front of a wall and put one foot forward and let the ball of your foot and heel on the ground against the wall.
- Gently straighten your leg, lean forward till you feel a deep stretch in your calf while allowing your handed to rest on the wall.
- Switch your legs and repeat.
Don’t waste your time watching TV and playing video games. Focus on your health and start working out.
The information contained in this article is for educational and informational purposes only and is not intended as a health advice. We would ask you to consult a qualified professional or medical expert to gain additional knowledge before you choose to consume any product or perform any exercise.