According to the National Rifle Association of India, (NRAI) the Indian Olympic Shooting Squad is all set to leave for Zagreb, Croatia on 11th May 2021, for participation in the European Championship. The European Championship is scheduled between 20th May and 6th June 2021. Initially, for training purposes, the Indian Shooting Squad will be staying back in Zagreb, before directly moving to Tokyo for participating in the forthcoming Tokyo Olympics.
According to an official statement by NRAI, “All the arrangements for a chartered flight for the entire squad to fly to Zagreb have been made, keeping in mind the threat of contraction infection against the current COVID-19 situation.”
According to the arrangements made by the NRAI, all the members of the squad including coaches and officials would be vaccinated before their departure. In addition to the arrangement, NRAI has also accommodated the private coaches and support staff of the shooters.
Earlier in April 2021, India had named a 15 member shooting squad for the Tokyo Olympics, which is slated to begin from 23rd Jul 2021 to 8th Aug 2021.
NRAI chose the final contingent based on performances in the Olympic qualification cycle, which began from the 2018 Asian Games in Jakarta. An average of the five best scores registered by each shooter in an international competition in that period was taken into account while picking the final team.
However, in regards to keeping the safeguard against the global pandemic, a reserve list for each discipline was drawn up. The reserves account for 14 additional shooters in the team. The reserve shooters will undergo the same training compare to the core team shooters to ensure they can step in if any of the first-team shooters build COVID symptoms or are unable to participate for any reason.
The Indian Olympic Shooting Squad for Tokyo Olympics are as follows: –
1.) 10m Air Rifle Men
- Divyansh Singh Panwar, Deepak Kumar
- Reserves: Sandeep Singh, Aishwary Pratap Singh Tomar
2.) 50m Rifle 3 Position Men
- Sanjeev Rajput, Aishwary Pratap Singh Tomar
- Reserves: Swapnil Kusale, Chain Singh
3.) 10m Air Pistol Men
- Saurabh Chaudhary, Abhishek Verma
- Reserves: Shahzar Rizvi, Om Prakash Mitharval
4.) 10m Air Rifle Women
- Apurvi Chandela, Elavenil Valarivan
- Reserves: Anjum Moudgil, Shreya Agarwal
5.) 50m Rifle 3 Position Women
- Anjum Moudgil, Tejaswini Sawant
- Reserves: Sunidhi Chauhan, Gaayathri N
6.) 10m Air Pistol Women
- Manu Bhaker, Yashaswini Singh Deswal
- Reserves: P Shri Nivetha, Shweta Singh
7.) 25m Pistol Women
- Rahi Sarnobat, Manu Bhaker
- Reserves: Chinki Yadav, Abhidnya Patil
8.) Skeet Men
- Angadvir Singh Bajwa, Mairaj Ahmad Khan
- Reserves: Gurjoat Singh Khangura, Sheeraz Sheikh
9.) 10m Air Rifle Mixed Team
- Divyansh Singh Panwar and Elavenil Valarivan, Deepak Kumar and Anjum Moudgil
10.) 10m Air Pistol Mixed Team
- Saurabh Chaudhary and Manu Bhaker, Abhishek Verma and Yashaswini Singh Deswal
The information contained in this article is for educational and informational purposes only and is not intended as a health advice. We would ask you to consult a qualified professional or medical expert to gain additional knowledge before you choose to consume any product or perform any exercise.