Many of us may have been on a poor and unhealthy diet for quite some time now. It may not have occurred to you that it can affect your hips considerably. In fact, the muscles present in your hips perform a lot of work in the form of helping us to sit, move or jump and stand erect and also do many other things. It is necessary for you to perform some exercises that can work on your hip muscles. By performing hip exercises, you will be able to lose your excess weight, improve your muscle and ensure higher flexibility.
The presence of glutes in your body such as gluteus maximus, gluteus minimus and gluteus medius are actually some of your biggest muscles. These muscles must be strengthened, since they provide many health benefits that can help you in improving your overall health.
You can start by doing a warm-up every time before starting your exercise routine. This would help you to decrease your chances of being affected by any injury. Warm-up such as stretches as well as some mobility exercises can be done before and after your workout sessions.
Some of the hip exercises that you can perform to keep your butt in shape are mentioned below:
Frog pumps can be awesome hip exercises for your butt, as it can help in improving the strength of your legs. The movements that you perform in these exercises must be proper and correct, since it is normally tough to do these exercises in the beginning. With more practice, you can slowly add more repetitions at the time of performing this exercise.
How to do this exercise?
- First lie down on your mat to your back by keeping your knees bent.
- Your knees must be lowered to either of your sides and soles of your feet must be joined together.
- Keep your elbows on the floor next to the body.
- Press your buttocks a little harder in order to lift your hips as much as possible.
- Now, lower the body by moving slowly. You have completed a rep.
Frog pumps don’t require any equipment. You can try to do about 2-3 sets of 12 reps each.
Lunges are solid hip exercises that can strengthen your major muscle groups present in the lower part of the body. Apart from that, they also strengthen your glutes, hamstrings and quads.
Lunges works on your whole body and core and help in making all your movements made during the day, easy and comfortable. Forward lunges are one of the basic variations of lunges exercises that you can start doing at the beginning stages of performing exercises. This exercise does not require any equipment. As you do forward lunges, check if you are feeling the tension in the glutes. If not, do the exercise under proper supervision to ensure that you have got your technique right.
How to do this exercise?
- You have to stand in a straight position by keeping your feet hip-width apart.
- Move one step (take a big step) forward with one of your legs.
- Keep both your knees bent in 90 degrees angle.
- While staying in this position, keep the knee of the leg that is at the back about 2 inches off the floor.
- Now, you must bring back the front leg as you stand.
- You can come back to the starting position. This completes one rep.
- Try to do at least 12-15 reps on one side and then continue to do for the other leg. Now one set would be complete.
Apart from forward lunges, there are many other variations such as side lunges, reverse lunges, walking lunges and few more. It is important for you to practice all of these variations, as it helps in working your glutes.
Donkey Kicks is a remarkable hip exercise that can tone the butt and help you to lose the fat present in them. You can build both your thigh and hip muscles by doing this exercise. While doing this exercise, keep your neck and back in a straight position and focus more on the glutes. You do not need any equipment for performing donkey kicks. You can do about 2 to 3 sets of this exercise with a minimum of 40 reps each.
How to do this exercise?
- Come on all fours on the floor and keep your hands directly beneath your shoulders and knees under your hips.
- Your core has to be contracted and back to be straightened.
- Start by bending your right knee first and take your right leg back until the sole of the right foot faces the ceiling.
- Always ensure that you keep your back straight and your hips squarely pointing to the ground.
- Now, hold on for a few seconds before bringing your leg back down. This completes one rep.
- Start with your right leg and complete 15 reps and subsequently repeat using your left leg. Now, one set would be complete.
Hip thrusts are a type of hip exercises that are normally done at the gym by using weights. However, you can also try out this exercise at home without requiring the use of any weights. This exercise targets the gluteus maximus and gluteus medius present in your hips. The hamstring and quadriceps muscles present in the thighs are also targeted while performing this exercise. The equipment that can be used in the gym to perform this exercise is the barbell along with the weights that will vary from person to person based on their skills. You can perform a maximum of 3 sets comprising about 12-15 reps for each set.
How to do this exercise with weights at the gym?
- Take a barbell which is close to 7-foot height and load weights on to it according to your strength.
- Now, sit on a mat and also tilt the upper back of your body slightly as against a flat bench. The bench must be capable of staying strong and not move when the weight is placed on it. Keep your knees bent while your feet are placed on the mat, which is about hip-width apart.
- Place the barbell just above your pelvis according to your convenience.
- Now, hold the barbell with your hands to keep it firm and stable until the completion of the exercise.
- Push the weight upwards till such time that your body is in a straight line starting from the head up to the knees.
- Now, gradually come back to the position where you started by lowering your pelvis. Now, one rep is complete.
How to do this exercise without weights at home?
- Firstly, you can place a mat on the floor and sit on it. Now, keep your legs extended in front of you.
- Start leaning back a little and place the palms at the back of your hips. The fingers must be pointed towards your buttocks.
- Keep your knees bent and place your feet hip-width apart on your mat.
- You must raise the hips off the mat while your arms are kept straight. Now, you have to support your weight using your hands and feet.
- You can push your body upwards from the hips in order to get into a table position. Keep your neck, head, pelvis, upper thighs in a straight line position.
- Continue to remain with your body lifted for a few more seconds.
- Now, lower your body by keeping your movement stable. You have completed one rep.
These hip exercises that are known to target your buttocks can be highly rewarding, provided that you stick to your schedule by continuing to perform these exercises all through your lifetime.
Image Source: www.self.com
The information contained in this article is for educational and informational purposes only and is not intended as a health advice. We would ask you to consult a qualified professional or medical expert to gain additional knowledge before you choose to consume any product or perform any exercise.