MyFitnessPal has teamed up with fitness expert and expectant mother, Deja Riley, to create an accessible program tailored to pregnant women. This program, titled “Eating for Pregnancy,” offers a unique approach that prioritizes the wellbeing of mothers-to-be. Unlike typical advice on managing weight and nutrition for babies, this program focuses on the holistic health of expectant mothers. It provides practical strategies to alleviate pregnancy symptoms and boost energy levels.
“Throughout pregnancy it’s important to track and follow the baby’s progress but it’s also important to put some of the focus back on mom – making sure we’re taking care of ourselves properly, from nutrition to simply carving out time for self-care,” speaks Riley. “MyFitnessPal makes it easy to track food choices, water intake and movement and doing so has helped me identify choices that directly impact my mood and energy.”
“This isn’t an eating program. It’s a plan that offers real-life strategies to help navigate a time that can feel both overwhelming and exciting, not only for those who are pregnant for the first time, but even experienced moms, because every pregnancy is unique,” shares Stephanie Nelson, MS, RD and MyFitnessPal in-house registered dietitian.
The “Eating for Pregnancy” plan has been developed in collaboration with MyFitnessPal’s nutrition experts and features insights from registered dietitians and experienced mothers. The program spans a week and delivers daily guidance, food suggestions, and recipe recommendations. It addresses a variety of pregnancy-related challenges and concerns, all aimed at enhancing the overall wellbeing of pregnant women.
Key areas covered by the program include:
- Morning Sickness: Acknowledging that morning sickness is a common and often challenging symptom experienced by a significant percentage of pregnant individuals.
- Heartburn: Understanding the causes and management of heartburn, which can be exacerbated by the physiological changes associated with pregnancy.
- Constipation: Providing insights into managing constipation, a discomfort caused by hormonal changes and prenatal vitamins that can slow down digestion.
- Exercise: Recognizing the importance of staying active during pregnancy, offering modified fitness movements suitable for expectant mothers.
- Fatigue and Low Energy: Addressing the natural fatigue that accompanies pregnancy as the body diverts energy toward nurturing the developing baby.
- Cravings: Exploring the science behind pregnancy cravings, emphasizing that they can signify nutrient needs or result from hormonal fluctuations and mood changes.
Deja Riley, an accomplished fitness expert and instructor, shares her expertise and personal experiences as part of the program. Through the “Eating for Pregnancy” plan, participants can gain valuable insights to navigate these challenges and promote their overall wellness during pregnancy.
MyFitnessPal’s collaboration with Deja Riley aims to provide pregnant women with a comprehensive and practical resource to support their health and vitality during this transformative phase of their lives. By offering a fresh perspective on pregnancy nutrition and fitness, the program helps mothers-to-be take care of themselves as they prepare to welcome their new addition to the family.
The information contained in this article is for educational and informational purposes only and is not intended as a health advice. We would ask you to consult a qualified professional or medical expert to gain additional knowledge before you choose to consume any product or perform any exercise.