Breast Cancer is the most common cancer in women and it ranks second leading cause of death of women following lung cancer. Women from both developed countries and underdeveloped countries are dying due to breast cancer. Notably, in 2020, an estimated 276,480 new cases of invasive breast cancer are expected to be diagnosed in women in the U.S., along with 48,530 new cases of non-invasive (in situ) breast cancer.
The risk for a woman to get affected by breast cancer nearly doubles if she has a first-degree relative including (mother, sister, daughter) diagnosed with breast cancer. About 85% of breast cancers occur in women who have no family history of breast cancer. These occur due to genetic mutations that happen as a result of the aging process and life in general, rather than inherited mutations. The most significant risk factors for breast cancer are sex (being a woman) and age (growing older).
Everything About Breast Cancer.
You will be getting every answer related to breast cancer in this article.
What is Breast Cancer?
Breast cancer is caused by the development of cancer in breast cells.
Generally, cancer develops in either the lobules or in the ducts of the breast.
Lobules:- The glands that produce milk.
Ducts:- The pathways that escort the milk from the glands to the nipples.
Note:- Cancer can also develop in the fibrous connective tissue or the fatty tissue within your breast.
What are the Symptoms of Breast Cancer?
- The first symptom of breast cancer is when a lump in the breast or in the armpit or a thickened tissue in the breast appears.
- Pain in breasts and armpits doesn’t change after the menstrual cycle.
- Rashtriya around the nipples.
- Change in the size and the shape of the nipples.
- Flaking or scaling of the skin on the nipples and breasts.
- Change in the size of nipples
These were the symptoms one can undergo if suffering from breast cancer.
Now let’s move further!
What are the stages of Breast Cancer?
According to doctors, if breast cancer is treated in the earliest stages then the patient can get rid of it. And if breast cancer reaches the crucial stages then treatment and recovery is difficult.
- Stage 0: This stage of breast cancer is known as Ductal Carcinoma (DCIS). In this stage, the cells are limited within the ducts in the breasts. Also, the cells have not invaded surrounding the tissues.
- Stage 1: This stage tumor is measurable up to 2 cm. At this stage, a small group of cancer cells is found in lymph nodes.
- Stage 2: By this stage, the tumor grows till 2 cm and started spreading across the nodes.
- Stage 3: The size of the tumor has increased to 5 cm and above and has spread in some few lymph nodes.
- Stage 4: Now the cancer is spreading to distant organs.
So these were the four stages of breast cancer. Let’s move further.
What are the Causes of Breast Cancer?
A woman’s breast includes connective tissues, fats, and thousands of lobules that are the tiny glands that help in producing milk for breastfeeding. Small ducts help in carrying the milk towards nipples.
Cancer causes an increase in the cells that in uncontrollable. And this cell growth causes tumor that uses all the nutrition and energy around it.
Generally, breast cancer starts in the inner lining of lobules and milk ducts and can spread throughout the body parts.
What are the Risk Factors of Breast Cancer?
Always the exact factor behind breast cancer remains unclear but some risk factors sustain that can be prevented.
- Age: The risk of getting breast cancer increases with your growing age.
- Genetics: Women who have certain mutations in the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes are more likely to get breast cancer.
- A history of breast cancer: The women who have a history of breast cancer is more likely to have it again then the women who don’t have it.
- Dense breast tissue: Women who have more denser breast is likely to receive breast cancer.
- More estrogen exposure: If you start with your periods earlier or went to your menopause earlier you will have more estrogen exposure that can increase the risk of breast cancer.
- Bodyweight: Women who have obesity or are overweight after menopause can develop breast cancer.
- Consuming alcohol: Higher consumption of alcohol can increase the risk of breast cancer.
- More radiation exposure: Experiencing more radiation exposure can increase the risk of developing breast cancer.
How Breast Cancer is Treated?
The treatment always depends on several factors in relevance to your health and stage of cancer detected that includes:
- The stage of breast cancer detected.
- The sensitivity of the hormones.
- The overall health and age is the person
There many kinds of treatment available for breast cancer. Doctors suggest treatment according to the present condition of the patient and in regard to the medical conditions.
Here are some treatments for breast cancer:
- Hormone therapy
- Radiation therapy
- Biological therapy
Breast cancer is not a thing to get scared and feared. You can fight against your breast cancer and survive against it. There are many Indian celebrities who have proved this with their inspiring journey of the fight against breast cancer.
These celebrities include:
- Tahira Kashyap
- Sonali Bendre
- Manisha Koirala
- Nafisa Ali Sodhi
- Lisa Ray
Here was everything you wanted to know about breast cancer. You can prevent and take precautions as well by:
- Avoiding excess of consuming alcohol
- Doing enough exercise regularly
- Following a healthy and nutritional diet
The information contained in this article is for educational and informational purposes only and is not intended as a health advice. We would ask you to consult a qualified professional or medical expert to gain additional knowledge before you choose to consume any product or perform any exercise.