A Sports nutritionist work closely with athletes managing their daily food intake precisely in order to get the best result out of them. Sports nutritionists are the ones who are responsible to fuel up athletes keeping a keen precision over their food intake and bodily metabolism and other biological aspects.
In the wake to optimize the athletic performance of athletes assisting them to recover from injuries and body ailments, Sports Nutritionists help them by creating comprehensive nutritional plans.
Usually, sports nutritionists start their workings with particular clients (usually sportsperson) after comprehending their needs and goals including muscle gain or weight loss. Then they shape up a diet which exactly suits the requisites of the client, as the session graduates and progress can be seen to the body of the client, they can be again suggested to adjust in according to their fixtures or competitions.
In addition to this, working closely with a team of athletes, a nutritionist can create more general nutritious meals plan for those group.
Requirements to be a Sports Nutritionist.
In order to become a sports nutritionist, one needs to pursue a bachelor degree like B.Sc (Food Science and Nutrition) in dietetics or nutrition. As there is no specific qualification required to do the course, one can always pursue the same from a number of institutions. Here are a few other basic requirements of an apt Sports Nutritionist.
- One should Knowledge of eating disorder and disordered eating signs and symptoms
- One should have the knowledge to measure body physical attributes including height, and body weight.
- One should be capable of keeping precise time management, record keeping skills set.
- One should work with self-motivation and should be able to work independently.
- One should have basic knowledge of different foods nutritional value
- One should know how to calculate body mass index using his or her client Body weight, fat content, and muscle count.
Steps to be a sports nutritionist:
It is recommended for the candidates who want to be sports nutritionist, after clearing 12th standard preferably in Medical Stream; they need to pursue Bachelor degree in Nutrition or in Dietetics. The Candidates need to clear some entrance examination to get reputed institutes to mark some difference and stay one step ahead in the concerned field.
Once, the candidate cleared the course, the fitness industry opens a wide-spread scope for them. They can either go for some job under some Government or Private Sports organisation or they can further add a master degree to their resume which can assist them a lot in getting into academics and other available scopes available.
A list of some entrance examinations in India to pursue sports nutrition as in profession:
- University of Mumbai Master of Science in Dietetics Entrance Examination
- M.sc In Dietetics and Applied Nutrition Entrance Examination of Manipal University.
- IGNOU Master of Science in Dietetics and food Service Management Nutrition Biochemistry Examination
- Osmania University Entrance Examination
- National Institute of Nutrition Msc. Entrance examination
Select group of Institutes that conduct sports nutrition course:
- Lady Irwin College, New Delhi
- Public Health Foundation of New Delhi, Delhi NCR
- All India Institute of Hygiene and Public Health
- Amity University Haryana, Gurgaon
- Manav Rachna International University, Faridabad
- Institute of Life Sciences, Ahmedabad University
The information contained in this article is for educational and informational purposes only and is not intended as a health advice. We would ask you to consult a qualified professional or medical expert to gain additional knowledge before you choose to consume any product or perform any exercise.