Columbia Sportswear Co. has bought out its partner in a joint venture in China. The Portland-based outdoor apparel company launched the joint venture with Swire Resources Limited, a subsidiary of Swire Pacific Limited, in January 2014.

Columbia had owned 60 percent of the entity and Swire the other 40 percent. Effective Wednesday, Columbia owns the entire entity. Swire remains the exclusive distributor of Columbia Sportswear in Hong Kong and Macau.

“We thank Swire Resources for contributing to the success and growth of the Columbia brand in China,” said Columbia CEO Tim Boyle, in a news release. “They have been an exceptional partner for us over the years and we look forward to continuing our strong relationship with them in Hong Kong and Macau.

China remains a key marketplace for Columbia and other outdoor and apparel companies because of its fast-growing economy.

“We are very pleased with the positioning of the Columbia brand, and are committed to investing in the continued long-term success of Columbia in the crucial Chinese market,” Boyle said. “The acquisition is consistent with our strategy to accelerate investment as a brand-led, consumer-focused business in the areas of highest growth potential for our existing brands.”

In October, Columbia reported record quarterly sales and raised its outlook. The company’s stock climbed 15 percent in 2018, well ahead of the overall market, which was down roughly 7 percent.


The information contained in this article is for educational and informational purposes only and is not intended as a health advice. We would ask you to consult a qualified professional or medical expert to gain additional knowledge before you choose to consume any product or perform any exercise.


Sportz Business is a vivid one stop online source protracting all the exclusive affairs of the Sports Goods & Fitness Industry. We have well accomplished on delivering expert views, reviews, and stories empowering millions with impartial and nonpareil opinions. Sports, Fitness & Wellness has become an inexorable part of our daily lifestyle and with Sportz Business expertise, millions of intriguers everyday are finding for itself a crony hangout zone.

Write A Comment

two × four =


By navigating our site, you agree to allow us to use cookies, in accordance with our Privacy Policy.