The scheme of National Centre of Sports Sciences and Research (NCSSR) aims to support high level research, education and innovation with respect to high performance of elite athletes. The scheme has two components: One is setting up of NCSSR and other is focused on creation of support to Sports Sciences Departments in Six Universities and Sports Medicine Departments in Six Medical Colleges/ Institutes/ Hospitals. The aims and objectives of NCSSR is enclosed at Annexure ‘A’. The total cost of the proposed scheme would be Rs.107.00 crore for NCSSR and Rs.237.00 crore for support to Sports Sciences and Sports Medicine Departments in selected Universities and Medical Colleges. As per the scheme, selection of the Universities/Institutes/Medical Colleges/Hospitals is based on the fulfilment of the eligibility criteria of the Scheme, not on the basis of state. However, one University has been selected from West Bengal namely University of Calcutta, Kolkata for setting up of Department of Sports Science under NCSSR Scheme, Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports (MYAS).
A statement of funds released for setting up of NCSSR and for 6 Universities/Institutes and 6 Medical Colleges/ Institutes/ Hospitals selected in different parts of the country for setting up Departments of Sports Science and Sports Medicine therein respectively is enclosed at Annexure ‘B’.
Aims and objectives of NCSSR Scheme:
- Application of scientific principles to the promotion, maintenance and enhancement of sporting performance.
- Developing athletes to their maximum potential and to prolong their competitive sporting career.
- Dissemination of sports science information
- Testing and Certification of food supplements/Indigenous preparations.
- Application of Ayurvedic/Homeopathic Medicines in sporting performance.
- Management and rehabilitation of sports injuries
Aims and Objectives of Educational Institutions funded under NCSSR Scheme:
- To start M.Sc (Sports Sciences) in 6 selected Universities and MD and DSM in Sports Medicine in 6 Medical Colleges.
- Performance enhancement of athletes through the use of Sports Science and Medicine.
- Scientific support to sportspersons and Rehabilitation of Sports injuries to Sports person.
- Basic and applied research in Sports Science and Sports Medicine.
- It will help in increasing the trained manpower experts in Sports Sciences and Sports Medicine and will, in turn, reduce the dependency of the foreign experts.
Funds released for setting up of National Centre of Sports Sciences and Research (NCSSR)
|Sr.No.||NCSSR||Funds released in FY 2017-18||Funds released in FY 2018-19
(as on 04.02.2019)
List of Universities/Institutions selected for funding to support Sports Sciences department
|Sr.No.||Universities/Institutions||Funds released in FY 2017-18||Funds released in FY 2018-19
(as on 04.02.2019)
|1||Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar||2.415||2.23|
|2||Lakshmibai National Institute of Physical Education, Gwalior||2.27||–|
|3||National Institute of Nutrition, Hyderabad||1.44||–|
|4||Annamalai University, Tamilnadu||–||3.00|
|5||Central University of Rajasthan, Ajmer, Rajasthan||–||3.00|
|6||University of Calcutta, Kolkata, West Bengal||–||3.00|
List of Universities/Hospitals/Medical Colleges selected for funding to support Sports Medicine department*
|Sr.No.||Medical Colleges/ Hospitals||Funds released in FY 2017-18||Funds released in FY 2018-19
(as on 04.02.2019)
|1||King George Medical University, Lucknow||1.288||–|
|2||Vardhman Mahavir Medical College and Safdarjung Hospital, New Delhi||1.29||–|
|3||Pandit Bhagwat Dayal Sharma University of Health Sciences, Rohtak, Haryana||–||2.50|
|4||Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute, Bengaluru, Karnataka||–||2.50|
|5||Regional Institute of Medical Sciences, Imphal||–||2.55|
|6||B.J.Government Medical College, Pune||–||–|
The information contained in this article is for educational and informational purposes only and is not intended as a health advice. We would ask you to consult a qualified professional or medical expert to gain additional knowledge before you choose to consume any product or perform any exercise.