On September 20th, Adidas will release AM4TKY, the latest in a series of high-performance running footwear produced in its digitally-driven and automated SPEEDFACTORY.
To create a running shoe for the vast and varied Tokyo expanse, Adidas recognized runners required a design with the agility and stability to tackle every unexpected corner and easily change direction at pace, regardless of underfoot terrain. Adidas analyzed years of sports science data on running movement and used it to design a highly tuned fit – brought to life with a connected eye-stay, providing precise upper lock-down and support for abrupt turns, avoiding traffic and navigating the city.
This upper design was verified by local runners and creators, including photographer Rui Hashimoto and Mao Mitsui (captain of MeCamp, a women’s only training community), before being assembled at SPEEDFACTORY USA. Through a unique process of fit programming, flexible tension patches were digitally mapped onto the shoe upper, with the connected eye stay providing the stability required for movement in every direction.
AM4TKY also features:
- Seamless Movement – Floating Torsion Bar
- adidas’ iconic Torsion system redesigned and digitally embedded to “float” inside the sole without stiffness of adhesives. Precisely balancing flexibility with stability for best heel to toe transition.
- Fused Bonding Construction – for direct comfort
- Precise digital bonding of sole to upper eliminates glue, giving you the most direct experience of BOOST comfort.
- Energy return – BOOST
- BOOST is adidas’ most responsive cushioning ever: It gives the highest level of energy return in every step.
Ben Herath, VP Design at adidas, said:
“AM4TKY further showcases the unique capability of adidas SPEEDFACTORY to create and deliver high-performance footwear at speed and scale, using advanced motion capture, data analysis and automated manufacturing.”
“The AM4 City Series has changed the way we create, in collaborating with local running communities and translating urbanism directly in to a shoe. We’re just getting started – with a re-engineered design and delivery process, we’re excited to continue breaking new ground in developing performance products that are responsive and tuned to the demands of those who need them.”
AM4TKY goes on sale together with previous AM4 city series releases at adidas.com and select retailers from September 20, 2018. It will retail for 22,000 ¥ / 200 USD / 200 EUR. As a part of the launch, adidas is opening up a SPEEDFACTORY Lab Experience in Shinjuku at the Meiji Memorial Picture Gallery for the public get a glimpse of the future of creation with the brand and find out more about SPEEDFACTORY.
- AM4TKY is the latest running shoe in the popular AM4 City Series assembled at SPEEDFACTORY USA
- adidas sports science data was used to develop AM4TKY as an adaptive and responsive running shoe for the city streets –
- With SPEEDFACTORY’s advanced technology, AM4TKY is digitally crafted to offer unmatched precision in fit, comfort and movement –
- AM4TKY is available for purchase from September 20th 2018